Every stage of life brings exciting challenges as well as problematic obstacles. At Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning, we offer students a confidential and safe classroom to learn the necessary skills to manage.
Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning began building its team of educational and mental health professionals in 2001. Students and families are offered a dedicated staff with specialized experience in Special Education, Psychiatry, Psychology, Psychometry and Social Work.
Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning is a privately operated school, licensed by the Ministry of Education, to provide educational programming for students from kindergarten to grade 8, who have exceptional treatment and behavioural needs.
At Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning, our primary goal is to provide children with opportunities for academic success and thereby create a positive attitude toward an environment that is often avoided, due to their previous negative experiences.
Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning’s mission is to maintain the child’s academic placement through the development of therapeutic relationships, the application of behavioral management techniques, the implementation of individualized learning programs and continuous clinical and academic support.
Applewood Academy’s vision is that children with specialized treatment needs will have access to high quality, compassionate and therapeutic educational programming that allows for the simultaneous delivery of educational and therapeutic interventions.
Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning has set its’ goals:
- To assist children with special treatment and learning needs in obtaining their highest academic potential;
- To promote healthy personality development in the child;
- To reduce and counterbalance the negative factors contributing to a child’s emotional health;
- To support and facilitate the transition of the child back into a community school whenever possible and beneficial to the child or engage in planning which promotes continuity of care for the child when this is not possible;
- To support the child becoming a successful and self-led learner;
- To support the child to feel part of a school community; and
- To provide professional teaching and counseling through classroom experiences that promote normal maturation (care), prevent further injury to the child (safety), and correct specific problems that interfere with healthy personality development (treatment).
72 Orchard Drive
Belleville, Ontario K8P 2K7
In 1999, Mr. Jeffrey J. Waplak joined with Terry Stevenson to form Stevenson, Waplak & Associates. Stevenson, Waplak & Associates is a team of mental health professionals. Clients are offered a dedicated staff with specialized experience and designation in Psychiatry, Psychology, Counseling, Psychometry and Social Work. Stevenson, Waplak & Associates now provides services to more than 200 clients per year.
In 1999, Stevenson, Waplak & Associates‘ expertise in residential treatment was partnered with the residential management skills of Mr. Michael Schmidt to form Quinte Children’s Homes. Quinte Children’s Homes fashioned their program so that both primary care and treatment were delivered through Parent Therapists. Now, Quinte Children’s Homes helps more than 80 Children and Youth per year through its network of 35 Parent Therapy Foster Homes.
In 2002, Quinte Children’s Homes and Stevenson, Waplak & Associates developed a specialized Day Treatment Program and a partnership was created with Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning, to provide educational and day treatment services to clients unable to attend community schools. Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning now helps 20 to 30 children per school year to continue learning, while offering a treatment plan that addresses their emotional and behavioural problems, and charts a path for their return to community school.